Ventura County Sheriff Jim Fryhoff on Safety & Sustainability
Ventura County Sheriff Jim Fryhoff graced us this month, sharing the challenges and successes of local law enforcement. He highlighted efforts in sustainability, safety, homeless services, combating retail theft rings from LA County, and preparing for new challenges from state legislature, underlining why Ventura County is recognized as the “Safest Big County in California!”
- To support our Sheriff’s Department, check out the Ventura County Sheriff’s Foundation at vcsf.org.
Water: Ventura County Water Updates
- Missed the United Water Summit for Water Sustainability on October 26? Learn about Ventura County’s water sustainability projects by watching the replay here.
- SB389, which empowers the State Water Board to investigate and enforce water rights disputes, has been signed into law.
Housing: Ventura County Housing Updates
- Ventura County has the largest housing shortage in the nation.
- The HJTA lawsuit over LA’s “Mansion Tax” was dismissed by the LA Superior Court.
- Ventura City is hosting a public workshop on rent control. Details here.
- State law now allows homeowners to sell their ADUs.
Energy: Ventura County Energy Updates
- The question arises: Who is really profiting from gas prices?
- The California Petroleum Market Oversight Division is monitoring gas prices.
- The 2023 Ventura County State of the Region Report, including energy statistics, is available here.
Environment: Ventura County Environment Updates
- The EPA has finalized the PFAS (“forever chemical”) reporting rule.
- New environmental laws in California include zero-emission school buses for bee-saving initiatives.
- Zero-emission truck sales are surpassing projections in California.
- New rules from the Air Quality Management Division may significantly affect port traffic and import of goods.